Main Street

 Church of God

4211 Main Street

Anderson, IN  46013

 
 
 

HOME   Who We Are   WHAT WE DO   FIND US   EVENTS/CALENDAR   CONTACT US 

Beginning in 1917, George Skinner (who was at the time an Associate Pastor at South Meridian Church of God) began to hold services in homes, schools, yards, and wherever else he could find in the west side of Anderson, Indiana. Because of the poverty in this neighborhood, there was no decent place to hold worship services. So with his love for Christ, Pastor Skinner went to where the people were.

In 1920 Mayor Bell of Indianapolis gave Pastor Skinner the deeds to two lots at 2215 Nelle Street to do with as he wished. What we came to know as Jackson Park Church of God was dedicated in 1922. Pastor Skinner went on to serve for 50 years in that first church building.

 

In 1972, Glenn E. Skinner, George's son, was officially named pastor of Jackson Park. He had been doing much of the pastor's work for some time but it was finally made his complete responsibility. Under Bro. Glenn's leadership, the Jackson Park congregation relocated to 4211 South Main Street. The groundbreaking ceremony was held on April 30, 1978 and the building was dedicated on October 21, 1979. For sixteen years the newly named Main Street Church of God congregation thrived under the watchful care of Glenn Skinner.

 




Pastor Glenn retired in April 1995 and the church started a new chapter in it's history. In February of 1997, Pastor C.J. Plogger came to the Main Street congregation. He served the congregation for six years before being called to pastor in Illinois.

 

 

 

 

 



Our current pastor, Reverend Don Billey, came to us in March of 2003. Before coming to Main Street, Don served with churches in Dayton, Ohio and Elkhart, Indiana. He and his wife Karen bring with them over 40 years of combined experience in youth and adult ministries. We are looking forward to great things in the coming years and invite you to come and join us!